January 29, 2011

One-Pan Chicken and Veggies with an Apple Gravy


I haven't had a "dinner post" in quite awhile and I made this one-pan meal the other night and it was truly delicious and needs to be shared! I recieve Rachael Ray emails and newsletters and in one of the latest ones I got it had a one-pan chicken dinner and it looked amazing. I had another recipe from here with chicken and an apple gravy with homemade rice pilaf that I have been wanting to make, or at least the apple gravy part, so I combined the one pot meal with the gravy and it was a nice hearty and satisfying meal with a nice hunk of grainy bread to mop up the yummy gravy.

One-Pan Chicken and Veggies with an Apple Gravy

4 pieces bone-in chicken (2 leg quarters and 2 breasts)
1 small acorn squash
1/2 pound small Yukon gold potatoes, cut in halves
2-3 large carrots, cut into large chunks
1 small onion, quartered
1 large, or 2 small heads garlic, cut in half
salt and pepper
1 tsp. thyme
1 T butter
1 T flour
1/2 cup apple cider
1 cup chicken broth

Preheat oven to 425.

Place all cut up veggies in a roasting pan. Season with salt, pepper and the thyme, drizzle with olive oil and mix together with your hands. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels, and season with salt and pepper. Nestle the chicken into the roasting pan on top of the veggies and roast for 40-50 minutes until juices run clear. Let sit for 10 minutes to cool and to let meat rest.

In a small sauce pan melt 1 T butter. Add in 1 T flour and whisk into a roux. Whisk in the apple cider to avoid lumps. Whisk in chicken broth and bring to a bubble and allow to thicken. Season with salt and pepper and serve over chicken and veggies.

Recipe inspired by Rachael Ray


This dinner was so delicious and easy to make and prepare! I mean, you throw everything in a roasting pan and that's about it. The gravy takes no more than 5 minutes to make and its full of apple flavor and is great with the chicken and veggies and especially good just being dipped in with a piece of hearty bread. So yum! I really think anybody can make this and it would come out fantastic. And you can cater it to your tastes, use whatever hearty vegetables you like and you can make it your own by adding other spices or herbs that you like!

Please excuse my food photos...by the time dinner is ready it is dark outside therefor I have no light to do my photos by. Makes me a sad food blogger...oh well! Please enjoy anyway!

Eat, Drink and Be Merry!

-BellaRosa


No comments:

Post a Comment