March 1, 2010

Barbequed Chili & Mario Kart

So I have been on a search for a chili recipe. I know my mom's chili, it's good. I love Steak 'n Shakes chili, I could probably not duplicate it. I wanted to find a chili recipe to be mine, or something I would enjoy making and that everyone would love. So I found this recipe from Rachael Ray that she made on her talk show (I didn't see the episode, I saw the recipe posted on Twitter).

It was for a Barbequed Chili. This damn thing has that tang of bbq sauce and the meatiness of chili. It's amazing! I love it!! It doesn't have the normal spice or cumin in it, which I actually kinda like, cause I feel like I can't always handle all the cumin, it's a strong tasting spice for me. I changed up the recipe a bit to go with what I had on hand and what tastes I liked. I also added beans, cause there were no beans in the recipe! I was like...you need more than just meat in here! So here is my recipe for the Barbequed Chili.


Barbequed Chili

1/2 pound ground turkey
1/2 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, grated or minced
1 T Chili powder
1/2 T paprika
1/2 cup of beer (other 1/2 for your husband)
1 cup chicken stock, or beef whatever you have on hand
2 T cider vinegar
2 T brown sugar
One 8 ounce can (1 cup) tomato sauce

1/2 can of kidney beans or whole can if you want more beans

  • Heat a large dutch oven, or saucepan over medium-high heat with olive oil.
  • Add the ground turkey and beef and brown. Add onion and garlic and season with black pepper. Cook a few minutes until onion is soft and translucent.
  • Add the chili powder and paprika and stir in beer. Let simmer and reduce. Then add stock.
  • Combine brown sugar, tomato sauce and vinegar, then stir into the chili. Bring to a bubble, reduce heat and simmer. (I don't have an exact time on this, I would say maybe an hour, but you just want it to get thicker and not so liquidy.)
  • Add the beans toward the end to heat through. Or add them when you add the tomato sauce, brown sugar and vinegar mixture if you want them softer. I couldn't remember when to add beans to chili.
Now, growing up my mom's chili was always served over elbow macaroni. May seem strange to some people, but it's how I grew up. It's so good! So I made elbows with mine, but you can certainly eat it straight up in a bowl with crackers.

If you want the original recipe click here.
*Note: My recipe makes half the amount of the original. I have made the full batch before and there was just far too much leftover...but it is really, really good the next few days...yum!

Last night was also fun because my best girlie Kay came over! She had never had this chili before, nor had she eaten chili with elbow macaroni before, so it was all new for her, but she said it was really good! So that made me happy! And Kay is my fellow video game girl, so we had to play some Mario Kart Wii while she was over! I love playing with her, she is so much fun! She is the best!!



That's all for my dinner from last night folks!

Eat, Drink and Be Merry!
...and kick butt in Mario Kart!


No comments:

Post a Comment