March 4, 2010

Book of the Week

This week I actually read two books but I am just gonna focus on the one cause I feel it is more worth writing about and more appealing than the other to my followers.


This week I read Push by Sapphire, this is the book that the movie Precious is based off of. This book is so emotional and raw. It's about this girl, Precious, who is pregnant for the second time by her own father, she had her first baby when she was 12 and she is not well educated and her mother beat her while she was pregnant because she "stole her husband" and calls her horrible names.

Precious is eventually kicked out of school, but given the chance at a new alternative school that offers help with those who are illiterate and not as well educated. Precious becomes great friends with her teacher Ms. Rain, who helps Precious to learn how to read and write and helps her out with her life. I won't give away too much, but this book is quite heavy and can be quite graphic.

It's a very small book and the way it is written was hard for me to read sometimes, cause it's Precious telling the story, so her words sometimes aren't spelled correctly or her wording is off but it's a great quick read and very heartbreaking and real. I really want to see the movie now.


Happy Reading!


-BellaRosa

*Note: The other book I read was "Divine by Mistake" by P.C. Cast. More of a magickal based read, so check it out if you want...I kinda enjoy P.C. Cast's books as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment