May 18, 2010

BBQ Chicken Pizza

My buddy M helped with this picture, she's an artsy-fartsy geek like me!

I remember I used to go to Schlotzsky's Deli and they has the most amazing little BBQ Chicken pizzas...now the closest one is like 20 miles away and I am sad. But I remembered loving those pizzas and I started making my own BBQ Chicken pizza from then on. I liked the idea of non-traditional toppers on pizzas. Why just stick with boring pepperoni and sausage, or mushrooms? There are plenty of delicious toppings that can be used and tons of different sauces!

I start with my Go-to Pizza Dough, which I have been playing around with the measurements to get the right consistency and elasticity to stretch it into my huge retangular cookie sheet. While the dough is rising I cook up the chicken.

Really Easy, Really Delicious Chicken Breasts
*see recipe here as well.

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
Sprinkle of garlic powder
Sprinkle of chili powder
  • Preheat oven to 400.
  • Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet, have handle covered in foil, unless your skillet's handle is oven-safe. Season chicken on "skin-side" with the seasonings, just needs sprinkles, not too much. Place chicken seasoned-side down and let brown for 5 minutes.
  • Turn over and let brown for a minute or so and transfer skillet to the oven. Let cook for 10-15 minutes depending on size of chicken breasts.
  • In this case, if the chicken is a little under-cooked its ok cause it will go on top of the pizza that is going in the oven as well, it will finish cooking.
  • Once chicken comes out, let sit and then slice it up into thin slices.
By now the dough should be nice and puffy and ready to be made into a yummy, delicious pizza. I use a large rectangular cookie sheet, only because my only round pizza pan is weird and I don't like using it...don't ask.

So I stretch and smoosh the dough onto the pan, using flour on my hands so I don't stick, and it doesn't stick to me. Spread as much Bbq sauce as you like on to the dough leave room for a crust. Cover sauce with cheddar cheese, or sometimes I use a Colby-Jack blend that is really nice. Add your sliced chicken on top and then I dab the top of the pizza with more Bbq sauce, just little pockets of yumminess! I add a little more cheese on top, so it melts on teh chicken and then it goes in teh same preheated oven for 15 minutes until brown and bubbly good.

I have also added some sliced bell peppers on this and it's delicious as well. I liked using the orange bell peppers for color. And I know most times there are onions on BBQ Chicken pizzas but I don't like onions, so I don't use them. But adding the peppers is really good. This pizza always turns out really well and I love it!! Hope you make it too, and enjoy it!!

Eat, Drink and Be Merry...and try a new topping on your pizza!!

-BellaRosa

No comments:

Post a Comment