May 24, 2010

Recommended Reading: 3 Books to Check Out

I got a great bunch of books this time from the library...I tend to request a bunch and then I end up picking up like 5 or 6 at a time! It's crazy. Anyway, I picked up some good ones, I have 3 here that I will be recommending and I hope you check them out...literally....go to the library and check them out!

First: Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

I saw that my sister-in-law had these books marked as "read" on her Goodreads, so I had been thinking about them for a while and decided to give it a shot. I really enjoyed this book!! I mean, I don't condone the whole sleeping with your best friends fiance, but Darcy was kinda annoying...and bitchy...and Rachel never had anything good in her life sort of because of Darcy so...more power to Rachel. Anyway. I really enjoyed hearing about Rachel's background and her friendship with Darcy and then finding out she loved Dex all along...I mean I was a late bloomer too, so I sort of get it. But it was great story and it kept me wondering if they were gonna get caught, if it was "true love", if it was just a fling...what was gonna happen! I thought it was great and it's a great chick book. I wanna say there are at least 3 or 4 book in this series, the next is Something Blue and it is focused on Darcy.

Up next: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

I really had no idea what this book was about. I assumed: "Ok, "Uglies" this is gonna be some high school drama "poor me" story about some little clique of girls who are "ugly" and the pretty girls are gonna be the queen bees and are gonna torture them through high school but then the ugly girls will end up on top. So NOT what this book series is about!! This book is about a society that has come about after our own has been distroyed or just years after ours is over. There are the "uglies" who when they turn 16, have a surgery, a plastic surgery overhaul, that changes their entire appearance to become "Pretty." It sounds weird explaining it, but I think and interesting concept once you get into the story. Its about adventure and learning to be happy with what you are given, physically, and learning what is social acceptable and why. It was a fun book and is a part of a series. The next in the series is called Pretties.

Last recommendation: The Giver by Lois Lowry

I was quite surprised by this little book. It really packs a punch for being only 180 pages. It was really captivating and made you think. Its another book based on a new society, one taking places decades and decades after our own. The main character, Jonas, is selected to become the next Reciever of Memories. Basically he gets handed down the memeories of the lives before his. Lives of the people who lived years and years ago, "back and back and back." Memories of things they don't even know exist in their community. They don't even know what colors are, what weather is, snow, rain, sunshine. Its and interesting concept. They idea of Sameness. Everything the same so no one gets hurt...and nothing changes. This book really left you wondering whether they are living in a time long after we are gone...or if this place is just isolated from the rest of society...It was very thought provoking and left you wondering about what he finds.

Happy Reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment