February 18, 2010

Bbq Pork Chops & Garlic Mashed Red Skin Potatoes

First of I have to say...I make the best mashed potatoes! I found the best way to make them super flavorful and really delicious is to use garlic butter and sour cream. Here's what I do:

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

One bag of small red skin potatoes (@ Giant Eagle, sorry I don't know the size of the bag?)

Salt
3-4 T butter, melted

3 cloves garlic, grated
1/3 to 1/2 cup sour cream

Splash of milk


First decide if you want the skins on or off the potatoes, either way, they are delicious. So rinse and clean potatoes or peel them and cut into quarters and place in a medium sauce pot. Fill the pot with water to just cover the potatoes. Add salt to water. Place on med-high heat and cover until boiling. Once boiling reduce and simmer for about 10-15 mins or until fork-tender. Drain and place back in pot.

Once potatoes are drained melt the butter in a small pot and grate in garlic. You can just smash the cloves and drop them in but I like using a small hand grater and just grate it in, that way you don't have big chunks of garlic. While that is melting together, add sour cream to potatoes and mash together. Add the butter and garlic and continue mashing. At this point you can taste and see if it needs more salt or any kind of seasoning. Mine were a little dry still so I added a little more sour cream and a splash of milk. I think used a hand mixer to blend the potatoes, but you can leave them chunkier if you wish. So good!! Also, I don't care much for pepper, so totally add pepper if you like that flavor in your potatoes.

With the potatoes I made pork chops. Now believe it or not, I got a great package of pork chops from Aldi...I know, but there were really good!! Anyway, there were 4 in the package, and they were maybe a 1/2 inch thick or so, and not very fatty. Very nice coming from Aldi.

So I seasoned them up with salt, pepper, chili powder and garlic powder. I got them brown on both sides in a skillet and then transferred them to a 325 oven and cooked them in there for about 15 mins. About half way through I basted them with some bbq sauce and they were delicious.
I didn't have a chance to take pictures of the great meal, but I hope to add other pictures to my blog soon enough. I am gonna be picky about it, so we will see how the food photos come along.

Eat, Drink and Be Merry!

No comments:

Post a Comment