August 10, 2010

Banana Muffins with a Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Crumb Topping


My Hubsie brought me home a box filled with bananas and peaches, which I don't think I can do anything with the peaches cause they seem to be way past their prime...and they scare me. But I started looking up recipes for banana muffins, cause I really enjoy making muffins. And I found this recipe for some banana muffins with a crumb topping, which I thought would be perfect! I posted some Sour Cream Banana Muffins before but I never thought about adding a crumb topping...so these sounded good!

Banana Muffins with Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Crumb Topping
Makes 12 regular size muffins
(original recipe found here.)

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

3 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted

For crumb topping:
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 T flour
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 T butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease muffin pan, if not using muffins liners.

Mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. In another bowl mix together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Make sure to slowly temper the egg/banana/sugar mixture before pouring all the melted butter into the bowl to prevent the eggs from cooking. I let my butter cool a little before adding to eggs so I didn't have this problem.

Pour banana mixture into dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. Spoon batter into muffin cups.

In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Cut in the butter until it resembles a coarse meal. Sprinkle amply on top of muffin batter.

Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. The mini-muffins took about 8 minutes to bake.


Banana Crumb Topped Muffin...Mmmmm :)

Now of course, if you know me, then you know I had to make mini muffins, but I did make 6 regular size muffins and it then it made 20 mini-muffins after that. So it makes quite a bit! I thought these were going to have an intense banana flavor cause it seemed like a lot of banana after I mashed them, but they are nice and lightly flavored and the crumb topping gives it a nice crunchy texture without adding nuts.


Mini and Regular Banana Muffins with Crumb Topping
Makes 6 regular and 20 mini-muffins

This was a great way to use up the over-ripe bananas the Hubs brought home and I do love making muffins..so it's win/win!


Mini Banana Muffins with Crumb Topping


Eat, Drink and Be Merry...and use up that extra fruit!

-BellaRosa

1 comment: